Wednesday, May 30, 2007

My New Communication Technology Adventure in Summary

So when I first started this course I thought that it would be much like my other courses, a little mundane, and involving a lot of work. But I soon learned that this class was different and better than I had first thought it to be.

My other classes, which include Effective writing, Cultural Perspectives and Marketing do teach me things, but i sometimes find it hard to use these recently learnt skills in my everyday life. since I am on the computer and the Internet, I have learnt many new things in this class, which will hopefully help me to do be a better employer when I attain professional employment.

Such as how to use Web blogs, how to search more effectively on search engines (and not to only use one type of search engine ie Google, or Wikipedia), how to find more reliable sources, how to perform basic Photoshop functions, the Macro function on Microsoft Excel, Mail Mergers, interactions with 3D environments, and a few other helpful new skills.

I think that in the future I will be able to use these skills in what I hope to do with myself, which is work for (or run) an automotive enthusiast's magazine.

Now...the matter of Feedback on the course Lectures and Tutorials. I liked the different concepts that were brought up during the lectures, such as the gaming theory, which really opened my eyes regarding the theory and concepts behind gaming ( Ludology and Narratology) , as I never thought too much about games, other than if I was enjoying them or not.

I also liked the talk in one of the lectures about anonymity online, and online security and privacy. I had never before thought about how I was being monitored. This interested me not just for my own purposes, but also for the possibility furthering of online global democracy (where some countries are censored and restricted from certain information, IE true historical information, ideologies regarding democracy, etc,)

The movies included in the Lectures were also interesting and revealing. Movies such as Alphaville, EXistenZ and the others, are not exactly my 'type' of movies. But after watching them, and being a little confused, i was able to find the main meanings of the movies, and their concepts, and now understand how a somewhat minimalist movie can say a great deal about a certain topic or philosophy ( La Jetee was quite bohemian, yet still had a good message)

The one thing i would change if i could would be the amount of theories thrown at us in one lecture, and change this so that the tutorials and tutorial tasks reflected more on these theories, as it is quite difficult for me to retain these newly learnt theories (even though they do interest me) and a topical activity would help me to remember these.

This is not saying that I did not find the Tutorials helpful and interesting, I did, it is just that I find it hard to remember things i have just learnt without revising them.

But in Closing, I would have to say that I loved this class, and it has made me want to take more media-related classes. Thankyou Adam, for an awesome class, and Thankyou steve for the interesting lectures.
Regards, -Matthew Dart

No comments: